Monday, July 7, 2008

Colorado Imprecionado

I wasn't thinking too much about this state in its overall roll on this trip. Utah, Kentucky, Oregon were where I thought the good times would roll. Colorado has much to offer, in people, places, things and rides.

First off, it was a huge relief to leave Kansas. Lucas Euser was awaiting our arrival in Denver on Friday, the 4th. The plan was to arrive at our lovely hostesess Bree's place and head out for a ride. Lucas is still recovering from a nasty fall, nastier than mine, so a couple easy hours was all we wanted. The fact that none of us knew where to ride and that it was 95 out, did not deter. Every community should have bike paths, and lots of them. Los tres amigos explored the S. Platte River trail, leading south of the mile high city. A vibrant Latino community was present, all celebrating independence in their new, or not so new home country.

The ride was swell, and it ended it beers with lemonade inside at John and Jill's place. Lovely. The evening was filled with sushi (in Denver, I wondered... I guess it was fairly fresh, but...) and Sapporros. Bombs happened to be bursting in air. I didn't like it too much. Fireworks for fun. Although I was compelled to burst out with "DOWN with the British!", I couldn't help but think of many Iraqi families, and what they might think of us Americans watching explosives for fun. Jill and John are engaged, and loving life. It was great to meet such fun loving folk. I hope I get to see more of them. John will be at Cascade, running and rubbing for the Garmin-Chipotle team.

Saturday was Mt. Evans, 14,200 something feet. As a sprinter, I loved that ride. Mostly a gradual gradient, the first 3rd of which I kept pace with the little pro and roempile, but they left me behind. Before we were able to summit, as has been the case each of the last 3 days in the monsoon rockies season, the thunder rolled and we descended. I flew off that hill, even as the rain started to fall, passing cars and racing the precip hoping I could get back to the car before getting drenched. Mission accomplished. My confidence was high for handling in the rain. Dag gummit.

Post Evans, it was pack it up for Boulder. What a cool town. I could live there. Well planned, full of athletes and progressives, a veritable liberal island amid an ultra conservative state. A stroll down the famous Pearl Street entertained, and a falafel dinner went down well. The next morning it was up Canyon. Craig made me do a couple of hours before the crit. That is supposed to "open me up" for the race, but I just feared it would make me tired. I bet had I not crashed in the Master's race (which I got back on my brake rubbing, magnet clicking, banged up bike to finish btw), I bet the Pro race woulda sucked it outta me. All I really wanted (and feared) was to scrub the hell out of my wounds. Dr. Brown to the rescue. She gave me her key and after a stop at the farmacia to pick up the Tegaderm, we landed in Ft. Collins and took care of business. I got cleaned up, then dirtied the blood stream with a beer and 4 strong margaritas. Funny how that first night of sleeping with painful open and weeping wounds (poor Cini's sheets, I oozed all over them) wasn't so bad. Dr. Hassel and Dr. Brown were great dinner company. Craig had some UC Davis stories to share, as all 3 are alumi and seem to know many of the same folk. Too bad these gals don't live closer, I'd see more of them.

This morning it was all about Estes Park. An 85 mile mile round trip from Ft. Collins, this is a beautiful ride. The climbs around Horsetooth Reservoir were short and steep. But the ride up Big Thompson Canyon and up to Glen Haven was gradual and stunningly beautiful. Craig took the ride nearly to Estes Park, but my hip was begging for mercy. An Americano at Leah's was just what the doctor ordered. We booked it home though, losing elevation nearly the whole way. All in all, we did 70 Rocky Mt. miles in 3:45. Not too shabby. The evening is closing with a great stage of the Tour at Diana's. What a gracious hostess. Aside from killing a horse today, she's been so kind to us. I may have to seek some help with my biking problem.

Tomorrow, we'll do Salt Lake City Tuesday night world championships and spend one more evening with Kotval in delicious Park City. Then, it's off to Boise for a night, and the grand culmination of Cascade in Bend. Yahoo!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pedro,
We are awaiging for more news, do not leave us waiting for more adventures more than a day, please!!!!